Saturday, January 28, 2012

On using the language of war ...

     Born and raised Mennonite, and attending Freeman Academy (a Mennonite high school) and Freeman Junior College (RIP), I learned and still espouse the fundamental peace and non-violence tenets of the anabaptist faith. I was reminded this week of the prevalence of war language in cancer blogs.
     So I find it fascinating how easily - maybe pleasurably? - I hear and use words of war to write about my battle with pancreatic cancer. Dealing with the real is to "fight" this Emperor of all Maladies (more on this fine book in another post).
     I returned from the hospital late Friday afternoon with much-reduced redness and swelling. While there, they brought out the big guns (antibiotics in the penicillin family) to fight and kill the infection in my legs. While there I learned I have another problem: deep vein thrombosis behind my right knee. But it was my left leg that was most infected and swollen. Both legs needed to be attacked with a platoon of antibiotics.
     When I was in the hospital last month with pancreatitis they brought out the heavy artillery to kill the pain.
     I take chemo to kill the enemy tumor. And I don't care if the chemo molecules urinate on the corpses of the slain cancer cells! In fact, I would take delight in that. My kidneys are still good.
     When radiation therapy radio beams are properly aimed, they hit the target, they bombard the adenocarcinoma with radiation to control and kill the cancer cells.
     You get the idea. While this language may imply that I have inner, cooped up anger and rage, in reality I am mentally and spiritually at peace with my situation. It's the language in common use, so I use it.
     Like many upstanding Mennonite men (maybe that doesn't include me, poor intro there...), I have pent up emotions about guns and violence. I think guns are cool and wish I had a collection of them to admire, handle and shoot. They really are fun to shoot. I think all Mennonites - men and women - should shoot guns frequently to release all those suppressed inner feelings of violence. I think church youth groups should have actual skeet and target competitions and make pledges to not play any video games.
     However, I also confess guilty pleasure in much theatre and film which has "meaningful" violence. I abhor the gratuitous violence of many films, tv shows and video games.
    Oops, I got waaaayyyy off track here. I am at home with Diarrhea while Barb is out leading a workshop. Don't tell her I am cheating on her.
     Thanks, everyone, for rooting for me. I know it helps.
     I leave you with this poem, extracted from Emperor of all Maladies:


               Physicians of the Utmost Fame
               Were called at once; but when they came
               They answered, as they took their Fees,
               "There is no Cure for this Disease."
                                                      —Hilaire Belloe





3 comments:

  1. Good to be home. Rest up and " battle on" .

    ReplyDelete
  2. At home with diarreha? Interesting turn of phrase. "at home" I can see being at home with being gay, or being at home with being a dog (me) but at home with diarrhea - you need to set some higher goals bud. Really. And preserve your bottom.
    take care,
    Milt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, LaVonne and I are continuing to watch your progress and are praying for you and Barb. Duane

    ReplyDelete