Sunday, January 29, 2012

Another sideshow.....

      Just when I thought I had turned the corner on the cellulitis in my legs, something new rears its ugly head — an allergic reaction to Cephalexin antibiotic in the form of an unpleasant itchy near-full-body rash!!! Benedryl tabs are helping control the itch, but it is not pretty. This is my first every allergic reaction to any medication. I've always been able to say "none" to allergies to medications. Now I have a known allergy to a medicine.
      I have come to call these annoying ailments "sideshows". Cancer is the featured malady under the big tent, but I have collected a large assortment of sideshows:

  • pancreatitis
  • diarrhea
  • headaches
  • nausea
  • cellulitis
  • deep vein thrombosis
  • itchy rash
Enough already!


I'm lucky I didn't have a heart attack to add to the list when I saw the cost of a 30-day supply of this blood thinner med. Holy Cow! The $ sign is missing, but you can see it's costing me only $1/day and insurance is picking up the rest. It's my contribution to hog farmers, as this generic form of Lovenox is "derived from porcine intestinal mucosa in Water for injection". I have to inject it into my "love handles" once a day.
Another pork product I am buying is Creon which is made from pork pancreases. I take one or two whenever I eat because it contains the digestive enzymes I now lack because my pancreas is sick. Thank you hog farmers everywhere.




On the other hand.....this is the drip antibiotic that was used to stop the cellulitis while I was in the hospital. While visiting me, Pastor Barry Kreider noted it appears to have been on sale for $1.28 at Ollies (sorry, it's a PA inside joke). 
      

2 comments:

  1. $1.28 @ Ollies is a good inside PA joke, but I think that's the expiration date !!! Hope you got it before 1/28 so it works !!! Rick, you sound in good spirits and I believe that is half the battle. Keep that chin up and continue to "deal with the real" !!! Praying every night for your 100% recovery.
    Love to you and Barb. ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick: Karla and I are encouraged by your humor ("humour" for Canadian friends:-) and wit. Very good post regarding the language of war. Blessings! Tim & Karla

    ReplyDelete