Thursday, January 19, 2012

Another trip to the ER . . .

Each week seems to bring some new adventure! Pick a cliché: "riding on a merry-go-round" or "snowball effect"  — my cancer event brings ever-circling symptoms and keeps building on itself. My increasingly frequent trips to the drug store and fast-growing pill inventory are proof of that!

Last night (Wednesday) Barb and I drove to the ER in Hershey after agreeing that a self-diagnosed case of  Celluliltis on both my shins was not improving after three days of taking an oral antibiotic, amoxycillin. After taking a long detour (due to an accident on 283) taking us on winding roads over the river and through the woods we arrived at about 10:30 pm and were admitted and treated very promptly; thanks mostly to being "in the system" there. They drew blood including blood to culture to finger the guilty bacteria. The results take about two days we are told. The blood test showed my neutrophil (white cell) count went up from 700 last week to 2480. This is good news. While there I was given an IV of Clindamycin and a prescription for the same in oral form and sent home. I am so very happy to be home.
Today I decided to stay home an keep the leg elevated at least half the time. It feels better already.


This all started when I noticed redness, swelling, and pain in my legs when getting out of bed on Sunday. By Monday the affected area was larger and hot so I called my doctors nurse in Hershey who, based on my own diagnosis, prescribed the amoxicillin. Barb and I are familiar with Cellulitis from when she had it back in Freeman during her times taking chemo and having surgeries. Our wonderful neighbor and RN Rita Graber stressed to her to get treatment right away, as it can be a very serious condition if not treated early.


Bottom line: a compromised immune system is bad news. My advice: Quoting fungi expert and writer Nicholas Money, who was a guest on Fresh Air yesterday, "you should worship your immune system". 



7 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you averted one crisis from crisis to major issue. Thinking of you a lot Rick. You are on my prayer list and I always say nice things about you! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always saying nice things about me. I'm glad you're up to the challenge. This is the best "gift" one can receive!!! But remember, Marge, be careful, you could go to hell for lying!

      Delete
  2. Oh Rick! You've always been one of my favorite people since way back when we used to work at the Courier together. You war with the cancer and I'll be your prayer warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, as Roseanne Roseannadanna says, It's always something, if it's not one thing it's another.... (Rick, you should READ her book, "It's Always Something").
    Please know we are praying for you....and we know this "real" ain't easy, but we can't possibly know WHAT you are going through. We appreciate the sharing through your "blog" and please know we are hear supporting you every step of the way. God bless you (and Barb). God's Love & Speed, ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilda Radner's book is less than $10 at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

      Delete
  4. Rick, your blogs answer our daily question, "how's it going for Rick and Barb?" And usually there is one pithy statement we carry with us. Today it's "we should worship our immune system". We hold you in the Light.... with a hope that your immune system will be resilient and serve your body well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick, Thanks so much for putting a subscribe button on your blog. I immediately subscribed and now will be getting email hourly!! (just joking - but I do appreciate it very much)

    As for the immune system, it's a challenge. If you have one that works right, wonderful. The trouble is that is can be too righteous and attack everything under the sun, or too weak, and not attack anything. Such a bother. But I'm grateful to have a human form - lots of fun to be had. Take care, brother.

    ReplyDelete