Friday, September 5, 2014

More "REAL" stuff than I care to DEAL with

My past four weeks have been filled with more interviews, inquiries, pricks, pokes, prods, palpatations and procedures than man is designed to endure. But I have persevered!! Here is some medical stuff in case you are interested. I'll start with some positive reports. My apologies for repeating as everything is so intertwined in my head, I have difficulty sorting everything out into a rational report.

Some good news to report is that the CT scan I had this past Wednesday shows that the pancreatic cancer is still locally contained. I'm still in Stage 3a or 3b (not sure which). That means it is confined to the tumor atop my pancreas and does not appear to have spread to other organs. Dr. Yee said the scan shows that the tumor may be a millimeter or two larger in dimension than in May 2014 and is further encasing the mesenteric artery. This means it is still inoperable. The tumor won't restrict flow through the artery and vein, he said.

Also, on the PLUS side.... Even  after going eight weeks without any chemo my blood tumor marker (CA19-9) actually went down and then up a little but is still at a level BELOW my June reading.  This was a very pleasant surprise. Dr. Yee wants to resume chemo Sept. 24, if I am ready because of the increased size of the tumor. I am not sure what I will do. The chemo lifestyle versus no chemo is a conundrum. To live longer miserably versus living shorter feeling semi-human????? Tough call.

Other good news:

  • the GI bleed (two ulcers) has healed.
  • the cholangitis infection is gone and I am off antibiotics
  • the diarrhea is let up significantly
  • my appetite is good and while reducing lactose intake eat good fresh foods of all kinds
  • including filet mignon
  • back surgery (kyphoplasty) to give pain relief is scheduled for next Tues. Sept. 9


My current problems — bad news bits you could say — are:

  • Lots of discomfort from broken 3rd or 4th lumbar vertebrae
  • Chronic edema in both legs is not pleasant
  • Kidney function is below par and no one can explain why/what
  • General weakness, instability with walking, limited mobility
  • General malaise, restless feeling, wishing I could be back at work instead of at home on oxycodone
A little more about my back surgery: I will be anesthetized and stay one night in Ephrata Community Hospital. The procedure is minimally invasive. It involves using a balloon of some type to expand the vertebrae at the compression fracture to take off the pressure between the broken parts. Then a cement will be injected in the space made by the balloon which will harden and keep the broken parts from pressure on each other.

Last night I searched the Internet for a video of kyphoplasty and decided to watch a video of the procedure. I am not sure I recommend anyone watching a video of an upcoming surgery!!!! I will share that it involved a shiny stainless steel hammer striking a spike-like rod into the back. A friend said I should inquire if they lost the drill which would not appear to be so harrowing as pounding on a     rod. Maybe now I have too much information. I will ask to see the hammer before the anesthetic is given.

For fun and escape and diversion, Barb and I went to a mattress store and purchased some new mattresses today. After sleeping in motels and other people's beds on our trip to SD and Minn. we decided it is time to replace our 15+ year old beds.

Also, last Saturday we took in the move titled "Boyhood". It was as good as critic almost universally have said. 2 hours 40 minutes but engrossing and sticks with me. Thumbs up.

Sunday we plan to go to a Renaissance Fair near Manheim PA for a few hours. I will look for spots to sit and rest when I get too tired, but need to "get out" and be active and have some fun!!!!

I will confess a rather sad diversion for me is watching Twins baseball on my laptop computer. This is the very definition of masochism. The Minnesota Twins are again cellar dwellers in the American League Central division. They don't have a chance at a wild card or any post season action. They have been troubled all season with subpar pitching and not much power at the plate. It is a perverse punishment to watch baseball and even more odd to follow a struggling team. Oh well. We all have our little distractions. Right?

I was saddened to read on Caring Bridge that a fellow pancreatic cancer fighter, Raymond Becker, of Freeman, SD, died Tues, Sept 2, after falling in his home and having a brain bleed on Sunday. Raymond and I shared with each other occasionally about our journey with our unwelcome guest. He was a great example of a positive attitude and enjoying life to its fullest. I will miss his support of me.

That's all for now. Thanks to all of you for helping power me along this uncharted path.

Ricky








2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and Barb today and hoping your back surgery goes well. I'd like to be there to see their faces when you ask to see the hammer! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Raymond. Thankful for these posts on how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that I never got a chance to post an encouraging post to your dad/husband! My dad, Raymond, talking often of his conversations with Ricky and I know they had a common bond together. I suppose these 7 months since Dad had died were kind of lonely at times for Ricky! Although I heard so many stories from my dad, I never even knew that a blog was being written on this side, however, I usually wondered why he wasn't on caring bridge (which this blog would have explained everything!). I've read through his posts and am in tears as I read the common symptoms that my dad also fought with, however, at a much older age! Know that I'm praying for you and your relatives. God never makes mistakes. .. and to have so many relatives around you there in the "hometown" is amazing to me! -- Coleen Black

    ReplyDelete