Sunday, August 24, 2014

I'm back home!!

I'm happy to report that Barb brought me home from the Hershey Penn State Medical Center in Hershey, PA today at 2 pm. That means I was in a hospital 6 hour shy of one whole week! 

And a busy week it was. I can't express how good it is to finally be home. Hallelujah!!!

I went to the ER in Ephrata last Sunday night with severe belly pain. They diagnosed blood in the stool and elevated white blood counts indicated infection as well. I was diagnosed with acute cholangitis — an infection of the common bile duct, the tube that carries bile from the liver to the gallbladder and intestines. Bile is a liquid made by the liver that helps digest food.

Thursday I transferred via land ambulance to Hershey hospital (30 miles) to have a procedure through my mouth to check out a biliary stent installed 2.5 years ago which was the suspected site of origin of infection. The infection is e coli. They found two ulcers in the duodenum which appeared to be healing. I had been taking large doses of naproxene (Alleve) - which is hard on the stomach - to curb my back pain. 

They "swept up" around the old stent which had debris around it and the cancer tumor had started to creep over the edge of it. Then they installed another stent (same size) inside the old stent. They are not removable.

Meanwhile, other problems keep popping up. The broken back wasn't enough. I had to add insult to injury!!  Hershey is a teaching hospital and with all my issues and complications made me a model patient for the residents to study and discuss. The residents' rounds were very interesting. I saw and was examined by more docs than I could ever have imagined.

I hope to clear up the problems soon. Low kidney function. Diarrhea. Swollen feet. Lower leg deep vein thrombosis (both legs). I came home with anti-acid, anti-biotic and pain killer prescriptions.

I expect to see my oncologist, Yee, in the next couple weeks. I need to see my primary care physician, Dr. Oh, late this week to followup. Maybe followup with the orthopedic doctor regarding best steps to heal the back.

Some good news during the week was that my blood tumor marker did NOT go up dramatically after more than six weeks of no chemo.

I went in looking pretty yellow they said. I've come home my normal color. Thanks to you for your prayers and support. I was too busy and stressed to take visitors but felt your concerns for my misfortune throughout the week. Thanks to you all.

-Ricky





No comments:

Post a Comment