Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Feeling fine AND a little taller after back surgery

It's looking and feeling more and more like autumn every day here in Pennsylvania as daylight shortens and the nights grow longer. Leaves are already falling from many trees. I am hoping for a nice long fall season and not an early winter.

Barb drove me home late this morning (Wednesday) after spending a night of being observed in Ephrata Community Hospital following back surgery yesterday. I am likely a millimeter or two taller than yesterday!!

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Marc Oliveri performed a kyphoplasty procedure on my broken 3rd lumbar vertebra exactly one month to the day after I broke it (compression fracture) while visiting in Minnesota when stepping backwards I tripped over a trailer hitch and landed on my hip. Fortunately there was no nerve damage.

Dr. Oliveri likened the vertebrae to a series of empty pop cans stacked one on top of the other. The compression fracture is like a crushed pop can - thereby shortening the spine. The surgery employees a balloon in the compressed space to relieve pressure and pain from the compressed vertebra and then cement is injected into the balloon cavity which hardens and keeps them separated and relieves pain.

I wrote earlier that I watched a You Tube video of the procedure and was struck (literally, I believe) by the use of hammer. I asked Oliveri about it and he said yes, he uses a small hammer. I asked him to see it but he dissed me and they had me in a deep sleep before I was able to be more assertive about seeing it. If you are curious you can watch or fast forward through the video by clicking here. Like the video patient, I have two small holes in my back. No incision is necessary for this procedure.

It may be too early to know for sure but so far I feel like some of the pain and misery has already abated!!! I didn't take any pain killers last night and only one so far today. I was told to "take it easy" for one week and come in for followup next Wednesday. I think I walk better and more erect than before surgery.

That's the latest from my saga. And good news too. We appreciate all the texts, emails, cards, gifts and supporting concerns  and well wishes given to us during this most recent procedure.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Ricky

No comments:

Post a Comment