Friday, June 8, 2012

A+A=Awesome^10,000 ... Target Field ... Fish Fry ... Fresh Strawberries...

To my faithful readers,


Thank you for your patience. Your not-so-faithful blogger has been busy enjoying life. The blog title says it all: Life is bliss. I don't think it can get any better than this.


The "A+A" refers to Adam and Annie, whose wedding we experienced in Minneapolis last Saturday. Words can not express how happy we are for this young couple. We could hardly wait for them to get married! We are elated to "officially" have a wonderful daughter who is first-class. I was trying to do a math formula with the A+A theme but can't figure out how to type superscript in the heading. So instead I have used a "^" to indicate "to the power of".


It was a beautiful wedding. Everything went smoothly. While the bride and groom and their parents took turns getting choked up and crying with joy, it didn't interfere with the ceremony. The official wedding pics aren't ready for a few weeks and I took only a few. I have never experienced a wedding photographer like Ben Garvin and his friendly high-speed digital style. I didn't have my little point and shoot camera out of its pouch before he had five of the formal poses shot!!! I was really caught off guard.
 Rehearsal. Annie and Adam. Kevin Steinman on guitar. Celebrant Aaron Christopher.




Adam and Annie with their brothers. The two men in vests - Charles Schrag and John LaGow - served as Best Man and Man of Honor. There were no other attendants.

The beautiful and proud mother of the groom - Barb.

Family pic using instant film camera. (I scanned the picture.) All guests had their picture taken with the instant camera as way to "register" along with a short note to the new couple.




Target Field. Definitely one of the nicest major league ballparks in the country. Walking into it is the greatest entry into a ballpark ever. The street sidewalk just takes you right into the ball park. I think I missed the whole first inning because I was gawking at the beautiful stadium and skyline. And what a stark difference from the horrible, blah Metrodome. This is one HUGE step up. It was a beautiful cool, sunny afternoon Twins vs. Oakland day. The Twins struggling pitcher, Francisco Liriano, pitched a shutout gem and the Twins had a rare win. A day game at Target Field should be on everyone's bucket list.
Joe Mauer at bat. The iPhone makes the players look farther away (smaller) than reality.
Dang good seats I'd say.


Charles, Adam and I enjoying the game w/o suntan lotion. Hence the shirts and turned up collars.


Fish Fry. Barb's family brought fresh-caught walleye and even a bullhead (which I was honored to eat) to the city for a post-wedding fish fry on Sunday. Jeff fixed a delicious breading and using the grill at the hotel pool he deep-fried the fish and heaped the golden fillets on a paper towel laden plate. We had leftover wild rice, spaetzle/herbs and asparagus/greens salads, roasted veggies, and cakes from the wedding to go with the succulent fish. While the wedding dinner was truly amazing, the fish fry was a memorable follow-up meal. Sorry, no pictures.


Fresh Strawberries. The season is peaking now. How sweet it is!


Cancerwise, I have been feeling just great. Today I had an appointment and was found to be fit to start taking another round of chemo. This time it's pills - Xelodal® - instead of IV infusion. I really dread this. Plans are for three 3-week treatment cycles (two weeks on, one week off). I won't have an MRI taken until the third round is completed in August, my doc said. My prayer is that side effects are minimal and I can stay well enough to keep going to work and enjoying life as I have been able to this past month.


It was difficult and sad to say goodbye to everyone in Minneapolis, not knowing when we will see each other again. Also, goodbye to Minneapolis. You have been our hub or base camp, you might say, for the past few years during family and lake visits. It's been a great place to fly in, borrow Adam's Mazda and motor to and from northern Minnesota and SE South Dakota and then fly out. Adam and Annie will be moving to Fresno, California in July. Adam will be teaching at Fresno Pacific University and Annie plans to land a job as well. Goodbye, Minneapolis. Goodbye, everyone at the wedding. It was great to be together.













4 comments:

  1. Great post, Rick. The wedding was an absolute blast. There was a true feeling of love present, not only from Adam and Annie, but from all the friends and family who were there. Great to see everyone. It was an unforgettable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures are so beautiful it makes me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do a ball game at the Twins field. Looks like it was amazing fun, and now - they are even winning!! Can't wait to see you guys again! We've been thinking again about a trailer to tool around the country - first stop - Pennsylvania. Anyway everything you said about the wedding was true. A true 21st century wedding -except of course the bride and groom weren't gay, but they were happy as were all of us. I can't help crying at these things they just make me so happy. And you were right - the fish was wonderful as was all of the food. I don't know how may cheese balls we went through but it had to be in the M's.

    Take care,
    Love,
    Milt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epic! Your legend rolls on! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete