Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feeling much, much better

     My radiation oncologist assured me I would feel better a week after the last radiation. And he was spot on. Although I didn't feel good that whole week, finally, last Thursday, the sun poked through the clouds and, for the first time in two months, I didn't feel nauseous and was starting to feel "human" again. I had been taking anti-nausea pills but could tell things had definitely improved for me. So I weaned myself off the pills and low and behold — no nausea. What a great day! And it has stayed that way. I still have digestive issues but feel sooooo much better. I have more energy. Less clouded thinking (at least from my perspective) and an improved outlook. I am going to enjoy this as much as I can.
     Last weekend we joined our church small group at a "retreat" to Lewes, DE, on the DelMarVa Peninsula where a church member kindly offered their summer house near the beach for our use. We drove to Lewes (a 3 hour drive) Friday night and came back Sunday afternoon. It was cold and windy on the beach. We explored Lewes historic district and ate out at "Big Fish" Saturday evening. A good time was had by all.
     We also look forward to traveling to MN and SD before my CT scan the first week of April. We will be flying into Minneapolis which will be our "base camp". From there we will head north to Cass Lake, MN, to visit Barb's family and from there to Freeman, SD, for Schmeckfest and a party honoring my mom's 90th birthday (was Jan. 4) and visiting our friends.
     The ongoing displays of support and offers of help continue to give us tremendous strength and encouragement. I want to hold up Barb's workplace, Mennonite Central Committee, as another vital and important source of support for us. Having worked in the mailroom there for one year I, like Barb, think of them as family. And the thoughtfulness and support has been there for us even though the organization has been, and still is, undergoing some big changes in its structure and size here in Akron. Again, food, rides, gifts, cards, visits, phone calls, etc. have blessed us on this journey.
     Thank you everyone for entering our living with this uninvited guest: cancer. You are significant help for us in practicing carpe diem: seize the day.
     

4 comments:

  1. So glad to read this post.
    We're looking forward to seeing you in Freeman.
    We hope the news continues to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Rickster! Welcome back to SD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you are feeling better Ricky. Safe travels as you and Barb make you way to your home communities and visits with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God. I'm thankful for one more day.

    ReplyDelete