Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Alles schmeckt gut!!!

Directional signs are placed throughout the metropolis to guide visitors to the festival.
This way to Schmeckfest!!

I was very happy to visit family and many friends in South Dakota during Freeman's Schmeckfest celebration March 28 & 29.

Everything about the long weekend "tasted good". I had a great time seeing many old friends and visiting my 92-year old mother who is doing very well.

The flight to Sioux Falls Thursday, March 27, was delayed by eight hours by "impending weather" which was not in my plans but I made it safe and the flight home Monday, March 31, went very smoothly.

My dad, Orlando, seated, guiding the sausage into the casings circa '60s or 70s.
His recipe for smoked pork sausage is still used today. He died in 1987.
My aunt Linda is mixing the sausage and uncle Jake is cranking the sausage press.
Freeman has held its volunteer-powered celebration bringing together the people and cultures of three ethnic groups living around the little town for 56 consecutive years. Many citizens without a connection to the three groups —Low German, Hutterite and Schweitzer — also volunteer to present the meal, demonstrations, musical, lectures, and various activities.


Schmeckfest is a huge class and family reunion. It is a fund-raiser for Freeman Academy, a grade 1-12 private school in Freeman. I recommend it to everyone to go. Click here for tickets. You have to get tickets in advance to be assured a place at the table and in the auditorium for the musical.

I am taking a 2-week break from chemo to hopefully recover from the trots. So far not much progress. I keep thinking this will have to end soon. Thanks everyone for telling me you read about my journey, even though I had no clue you were following it! That makes it rather humbling and scary and questioning my writing. But you are kind and don't criticize my poor taste and use of syntax.


My older brother, Reed, seated, keeps the family tradition of making Schmeckfest sausage alive
as he guides the mixture into the casing at the 2014 Schmeckfest. Notice how we Schrags like the jobs that require us be sitting - not standing or running around!
11,280 lbs. of sausage were made this year. All but 30 lbs. sold. Most of it was smoked. and that's no baloney. This is truly the best of the "wurst". Secret to success: volunteers and garlic.

Mag Kuchen (poppyseed roll) is a favorite.
I believe combining the tincture of opium I was prescribed and taking
 to help slow down my digestive tract and then eating
poppyseed roll, I may have overdosed!!
It is true that this stuff will show up in a drug test.









The program booklet cover for this years musical production.
The Storytellers where a mixed chorus of about 30 members that we on the stage much of the time.
I enjoyed the somewhat obscure musical and like the music which was all new to me.


5 comments:

  1. So glad you guys had such a good time - glad Barb could make it too. BTW- I never ever met your Dad so it was really nice to see him for the first time. Loved the synergy between your dad and Reed. Reed got in touch with me recently - I guess there was an article about Gordy Pratt in the Gayville Gazette that mentioned me. I need to look at it. I've been in the hospital for 6 days - bad infection - but they fixed it. However they are doing a PICC line this morning and getting me out of here but on IV antibiotics. Such is life. Take care - hope you bottom dries up! Milt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear you are doing well, and enjoyed the trip back to SD, really enjoy you're informative updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see you at Schmeckfest Rick - albeit for a very short time. I'm glad you and Barb were able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I looked at the first picture my first thought was that it was YOU seated, at some point in the past -- and then read that it was your dad. Wow! There's a family resemblance!! Glad it was a good time

    ReplyDelete