Monday, February 6, 2012

Hardware implant

     We got home from a long day — with long waits — at Hershey to remove my plastic biliary stent (translation: bile duct tube) and replace it with a new one. The plastic one gets gunked up and has to be replaced every two months.
     Good news: I have a brand new good-for-life metal stent. It came with an important -looking official ID card to put in my wallet to show people whenever I feel like bragging about having an "Implanted device", I guess. It is 8 mm x 80 mm (.3"x3").
     Bad news: my pancreas is complaining. My hope is that it doesn't go into a full-fledged hissy fit and send me back into the hospital. I pray it will "cool down" overnite.
     Here are some photos of my beautiful bile duct. On top is the old worn-out stent. Below are pics of the new metal one. Notice that it is not a solid piece of pipe, but a mesh. The odds are very high (I forgot to get the actual odds) that this will never need to be replaced or fall out.
     Yes, I was sedated to sleeping to have this done. I was not intubated, but kept breathing on my own while they stuffed a tv camera and tools down my throat, esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
     I thought I might go to work tomorrow, but feel like staying home to recuperate. I am not supposed to make any important decisions until 24 hours after the procedure as it takes that long for the sedatives to wear off. So if this post is full of dangling participles, blame it on the drugs, please.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for calling, Ricky! (Doyle, writing from daughter's Google account.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I have talked to you since your Freeman Courier days. Until Connie got really sick, I was reading your blog and also your brother Mark's. Now I will continue to read your blog. Amazed at the congruity between your and Connie's experiences. Connie passed away Feb. 1; funeral was Feb. 4. We have been busy writing thank you cards. Getting a call from you was a wonderful distraction. Thank you!

    Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricky, most of us dangle our participles without drugs. You are excused! God be with you, keeping you, Barb and the boys in prayer and appreciate you keeping us informed. Love Lonna

    ReplyDelete