Monday, April 6, 2015

Remembering Ricky.....the final post

This will be the final post on Deal with the Real. My wish is that Remembering Ricky will serve as an archive of reader and followers final comments, perspectives, thoughts, quotes, wisdom or sermons. Charles, Adam and I will enjoy hearing from you and will cherish this blog and your comments now and in the future. The photo below was taken on March 28. It will forever be a precious reminder of how fortunate I am to have these men in my life. 



Google stats are amazing. They keep track of who is viewing, from where and how often the pages on Deal with the Real are viewed. 

Rick labored over writing each post. In a November 2013 issue titled Two years and counting..... he wrote, "Writing a blog is not easy for me and honestly not that much fun. I resonated with the feeling shared by a fellow cancer blogger who wrote that if he had known he was going to live this long he would not have started blogging so soon!! But, I AM happy to share great news and, when it comes, will share the sad news as well."

Deal with the Real has 70 official followers  but it's evident more were reading. Rick often wondered how people stumbled onto it. He also wondered why so few people left  written comments.  Many people gave him feedback directly encouraging him to keep writing. He would have enjoyed more written responses, ones that he could savor or ponder by going back to them when he was discouraged. Norway, Russia, France??? Thank you Google for helping to keep track of Deal with the Real readers. 
 
Rick would be skeptical, but also approving, of the Celebration of Life Service we have planned in his memory on April 8. I think he would also appreciate the photo we selected and the lyrics to this lovely song that was sent to me by a dear friend in the darkest hours of this journey.  Its not that we think he wouldn't approve of the service itself. His skepticism would be toward the use of technology needed to successfully hold a joint service between Pilgrims Mennonite in Akron, PA and Salem-Zion Mennonite in Freeman, SD. Hopefully he is watching over this event and people on both sides will have a good experience. 

Our family wishes to convey sincerest appreciation for your prayers and support throughout Ricky's 40-month journey with pancreatic cancer. It was especially important to us in his last days while we were traveling in Freeman. He was a wonderful man and will be dearly missed. There will always be an empty chair at our table. 

Memorial gifts may be designated to Ricky’s Tuba Fund at Freeman Academy. With band director, Donna Ries, he agreed that his memorial would be use to purchase a new tuba. Checks may be sent directly to Freeman Academy at PO Box 1000, Freeman, SD 57029 or to Barb Schrag at 16 South 12th Street, Apt A, Akron, PA 17501. Thank you in advance for your generosity.

6 comments:

  1. Ricky's journey with Pancreatic Cancer was enlightening to me and so hopeful. I hope it helped him as much as it could. His journey was an admirable one ~ not anyone could have made it so. I too will miss him and his thought-provoking words. Thank you for sharing the journey with me and all of us. My heart goes out to you Barb, Charles & Adam. I will never forget the time we met at The Guthrie Theater and shared a MOMENT in his life !! May the Grace and Peace of God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for you a long time and will continue to do so as you adjust to life without Rick. It was a pleasure to follow his journey through his blogs. He had such a great sense of humor and could describe the mundane things in life so vividly. The way he battled this uninvited guest in his body was an inspiration to many and Barb you stood by him in a wonderfully supportive way.
    May God's peace wrap around you and help to ease the pain of loss.

    Lois Huston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just sad. I have appreciated Rick's blog through this arduous and heinous journey (my perspective). He shared his journey with heartfelt, honest and humorous words. I am glad that Rick is no longer suffering but I will miss him. My best memory of Rick is the first MCC hike we participated in together. While going down a particularly steep and rough "mountain" I called back to those behind me "very treacherous!" and I heard above me "Happy New Year!" Rick had heard me say "Merry Christmas!" We greeted each other that way for several years followed by a chuckle. Prayers to you Barb, Adam and Charles as you continue on this journey without Rick's physical presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,
    I just came across the blog today and have been blessed and saddened by reading the last few posts. I never had the chance to meet Rick, but you Barb have been an inspiration to me as you model strength and courage in the face of adversity. I'm sorry that Rick died, but his time of battling cancer is over. We will be praying for you all tomorrow as you mourn, remember, and celebrate Rick's life. And as you navigate this new journey without him, may God comfort you and carry you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across his blog today and I had no idea that Ricky passed. He seemed like a cool person. I'm sure that he is drinking a cocktail in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real Deal Sweeps Cash For Free - Win $5000
    Enter Your Email & Zip Code HereπŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    CLAIM NOW
    Enter Your Email & Zip Code so that Our officials can contact with you after that He will Verify your location and then you will get the Reward
    Thank You. Have a good day😊

    ReplyDelete