Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ceasefire ends tomorrow

I've had a nice respite from chemotherapy warfare. Wednesday my 30-day chemo fast ends.

My battle against pancreatic cancer will resume tomorrow when a new battalion of Abraxane soldiers will be deployed. These recruits will immediately start cursing through my veins yelling "get the hell out of here you damn cancer cells" ... wait ... should that have been "coursing or coarsing" thru my veins"? ... oh well.

I will be journeying up to Hershey to meet with my general, Dr. Nelson Yee, who has fresh new troops ready for action waiting in a room near a chemo chair which is waiting for me. They have been trained to make John Kerry/Obama-esque "surgical strikes" against nasty fast-growing cancer cells. (BTW, will Putin get the Nobel Peace Prize this year?) These young soldiers' missiles do occasionally miss a few C-cells and accidentally attack hair, nail, tears, nose/mouth linings and the brain.
Dr. Nelson Yee, my oncologist aka General Yee
at Hershey Penn State Cancer Institute. Check him out on You-tube.
So ... just when my hair is starting to grow again and my nails are nearly perfect and my head is mostly "out of the fog" I will start a fourth 4-week engagement deploying Abraxene soldiers. The campaign must continue because I want to see some more birthdays. Not just my own, but my grandson's as well. Look. Pictures.

Mommy Annie, dog sibling Patton, grandpa, grandma, very special child, daddy and uncle Charles.
(all slightly off-kilter - too lazy to straighten photo)
Early Sunday morning I returned from a wonderful week with family in sunny central valley of California. Barb is staying an extra week to help the new parents who are doing just great but are busy taking it all in.
Proud and happy grandpa holding Owen at about three weeks old.


Happy and proud grandma enjoying Owen.

It was so great to see the little guy and with some careful planning I totally avoided being hit by spit ups and diaper changes. Not that I wouldn't have handled those well! Just saying...

Sometimes I think of chemo acting like mole smashers .. whacking those out-of-whack, out-of control incompetent stupid idiotic cancer cells over the head. Have you ever played the smash mole game at the fair?


A thought just crossed my mind that "mole whacking" should be tried on the Democrats and spineless Republicans in the US congress as well. For me Obama's words at the food pantry yesterday sum it up best: "There are going to be differences between the parties. There are going to be differences in terms of budget priorities. But we don't need to inflict pain on the American people or risk the possibility that America's full faith and credit will be damaged just because one side is not getting its way." Hmmm. Really? ... one side is not getting its way... Is he talking about himself here?

This clever little skit hit home for me:





But I digress.

I continue to welcome your support and prayers for strength to be able to handle the side effects as I start another chemo feast and fight against cancer.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you still have a sense of humor! Hard to be cheerful but you seem to do it. I appreciate that very much. And what a cutie pie you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear of your chance to travel enjoying the wild west as well as seeing so many family members who have special connections to you. I would enjoy meeting with you & discussing our similar, unchosen life paths which we are traveling.Yes, Dr. Yee is my MD at HMC. Next appt. is Wed. 4/2. My email address is gingrich@ptd.net. - Nelson Gingrich

    ReplyDelete