Friday, July 19, 2013

Riding the Chemo Coaster

How are Ricky and Barb doing? ...

We keep rolling!

I am nearly half way through my new 8-week chemo regimen. I waited a few weeks to report to see how I was going to react. The chemo seems to have cumulative effect with adverse reactions piling on each week. Abraxane is the drug. Infusions are weekly. Three weeks on, one week off and repeating three on, one off for a total of eight weeks.

Next week is my "off" week and I am looking forward to that. My next CT scan and CA19-9 blood test to check for "activity" will be at the end of the eight weeks in late August.

I am feeling okay, but am having more severe side effects than with the oral chemo I was taking. Today I took two naps ... after sleeping 8 hours last night!! I tire easily and have a general feeling of weakness. Also, two days ago my hair started coming out in clumps. I haven't clipped it, thinking maybe the week off will give me some reprieve, but I will likely be sporting a hairless head in the near future. I hope that at the very least my ear hair tufts and nose hair fall out!!! Also, my old man wild super-long neck hairs. But NO! So far they are holding tight.

My neutrophil count (baby white blood cells) has been hammered by Abraxane. This week I had to go back to Hershey a day after chemo for a Neulasta injection to help stimulate my bone marrow to develop stem cells. I had this $7,000 injection earlier when I was having Gemzar infusions. I like having a high white cell count. Especially the young infection warriors.

I have created an interactive element in this post to help engage the reader:


Qhemo Quiz

A little medical term lesson for readers that aren't nurses or doctors. Without cheating (i.e. using the Internet), match the chemo adverse reactions on the left with the symptoms/descriptions on the right. I have in the past or am presently experiencing those with the ✓:

  1. (   ) neutropenia✓                                     a) muscle pain
  2. (   ) neuropathy✓                                     b) hand-foot syndrome
  3. (   ) asthenia✓                                          c) shedding skin
  4. (   ) diarrhea✓                                          d) reduced red blood count, weakness
  5. (   ) nausea✓                                            e) memory loss, impaired cognitive thinking
  6. (   ) alopecia✓                                          f) reduced baby white blood cell count
  7. (   ) myalgia                                             g) loose bowels
  8. (   ) ocularanalitis✓ (only briefly)            h) hair loss
            (optic and anal sphincter nerves crossfire)
  9. (   ) anemia                                               i) nerve damage and pain
10. (   ) mucositis                                           j) shitty outlook on life
11. (   ) acral erythema✓                               k) weakness, dizziness, fatigue
12. (   ) chemobrain✓                                    l) queasiness, motion sickness
13. (   ) desquamation✓                                m) mouth sores

As you can see, I have not had ALL the bad stuff!! While I have had a nice variety, fortunately none of them have been too severe. What a privilege to have so many of these important-sounding conditions!!! I'm sure you are jealous.

Otherwise, the long heat wave and fatigue are keeping me indoors. I have a few outdoor projects that are waiting for milder temps. I DO go outside to use my Big Green Egg cooker though. My appetite is intact.

Not much else on the radar right now. We need to plan some outings/trips depending on my energy level. Barb has been working very hard and going with me to Hershey for all appointments. That is so nice. She always has about ten projects going at once to keep her occupied. The garden harvest is bountiful. She is a great partner. I love her. I hope and pray she stays well.

 thanks for reading. thanks for your kindness and concern. thanks for your support. 



Answers to Qhemo Quiz:
1(f); 2(i); 3(k); 4(g); 5(l); 6(h); 7(a); 8(j); 9(d); 10(m); 11(b); 12(e); 13(c)



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and Barb are just about as GOOD as expected which is rather awesome !!! Keep on keeping on.....I say a prayer for you almost every night. God Bless ya both.
    1. ( F ) neutropenia
    2. ( I ) neuropathy
    3. ( K ) asthenia✓
    4. ( G ) diarrhea✓
    5. ( L ) nausea✓
    6. ( H ) alopecia✓
    7. ( A ) myalgia
    8. ( ) ocularanalitis✓ (only briefly)
    9. ( D ) anemia
    10. ( M ) mucositis
    11. ( B ) acral erythema✓
    12. ( J ) chemobrain✓
    13. ( C ) desquamation✓


    ReplyDelete
  3. This does not sound like any fun at all. What the hell? Anyway, glad you still have a sense of humor, if not hair. We're in the middle of a big building project out here, and the gardens are looking extra fine.

    Take care,
    Love,
    Milt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to talk to you about the new look on Sunday, but got waylaid. Anyway, the good news is that it's not as bad as it could be. Your attitude is such an inspiration to me. But I'd rather you didn't have to go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great lines, Rick. You really stumped me with the ocular analitis.

    ReplyDelete