Saturday, May 11, 2013

Getting over the cold

 "Getting over the cold" has a double meaning.

First, warmer temps are here. And also a little moisture. Almost an inch of rain fell last night and it's drizzling today. The weeds are rampant in the garden. And the grass is lush. The rain knocked the last of many blossoms and those seed thingys off the trees.

Second meaning: With the aid of some adult-onset hay fever I came down with a spring cold earlier this week.  This was the first cold I've had since I learned I had a mass on my pancreas Thanksgiving week 2011! That is amazing to me. My normal cold contract was about two colds/year. Even w/chemo and some low blood counts I was able to dodge the cold and flu viruses. I have thanked God frequently that I haven't had a cold or flu for such a long time. This one wasn't too serious and I am responsibly nursing it. Still dealing with some drainage and occasional cough, I should be symptom-free in a couple of days. 

I attribute my flu/cold resistance to less stress and more rest. My kind wife, Barb, doesn't give my one ounce of grief when I spontaneously and unabashedly recline like Dagwood in my recliner or the sofa for a snooze. She said if taking naps helps keep me feeling like I do (which is very good, thank you), I should nap as much as I want. And sometimes they're long naps. It's like heaven! I wish we all could take naps when needed and didn't have to have cancer for a nap ticket. Plus I still sleep well at night. 

This week I did wake up with the obligatory crushed snotty Kleenex around me in bed. Ugh! I didn't miss any work but my understanding employer let me come in about four hours late on Thursday and they gave me the flexibility to work later and still cut only an hour or so off my schedule. I work approximately 36-37 hours a week in billing at Smilebuilderz in Lancaster. 


It's a plague around here: Sacred Bunnies
I look forward to next week because it is my chemo "off" week. This morning Barb and I went to the Landis Valley Herb & Garden Faire. I was overwhelmed by the exotic flowers and varieties of bedding plants. As I recall a few years back when we bought basil, there maybe two kinds. Now? Crazy with types of basil. Barb picked up a few more plants. Luckily, there was no kale to be found. Her garden is flourishing. Rhubarb, radishes and lettuce are ready. Sadly, no asparagus here. I hope you South Dakotans enjoy an abundant crop.


I leave you with some photos and Happy Day to all Mothers!





This is our back yard. A maple and dogwood are sharing space — and admirably so I'd say.
Barb is collecting grass clippings to throw over wet newspapers between garden rows.
She is a very ambitious, creative, and experimental gardener. It entertains me and I enjoy the end results.

These orange beauties are part of hanging plant we purchased today and set outside our front door.
Gerbera daisies outside our "back" door.

Our neighbor's pink azaleas. There are some awesome red bushes around town (Akron, PA).
The bees are having a heyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment