Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'd like to buy another vowel (doctor)...

     Yesterday (Friday) I had the first chemo infusion of my second round of chemo. I don't have a port installed so I get the juice via an IV. The treatment takes about one hour to complete. I'm getting the same juice as I had in Jan. and Feb. — Gemzar (or gemcitabine). However, this time I will not be getting any radiation so I should learn how much of my earlier nausea was a result of chemo or radiation. My sense is that radiation added significantly and am hoping for feeling less ill during the upcoming weeks.
     Today is Saturday and I worked all day at my dental billing job for eight hours and felt fine all day. Now, tonight, I started to feel a little woozy so I took a pill. It's too early in the treatment to draw any conclusions. I am scheduled to have chemo every Friday for three consecutive weeks and then have one week off and do that for three cycles (nine infusions over 12 weeks).
     This is called maintenance chemo and will hopefully continue keeping the cancer from turning aggressive and spreading.
     I want all my readers to get a better understanding of what chemo is all about. So here is a YouTube video that a good friend introduced me to that I found to be most entertaining, although it will definitely be best understood and appreciated by anyone who has had chemotherapy. The rest of you may find it just plain silly, but hopefully not objectionable.
     Also, please allow me to introduce you to my array of Asian doctors (and their ethnicity)
            Primary care physician: Dr. Peter Oh (Korean)
            Oncologist: Dr. Nelson Yee (Hong Kong)
            Ophthalmologist: Dr. Wenxin Wéi (Chinese), pronounced "we"

     "Oh Yee of little faith. Wei shall overcome cancer some day."
     I am not looking to add to my collection of physicians, but if I did, I would like another, but different, vowel. Maybe Dr. Yú??

1 comment:

  1. Lol!! I just found a list of real docs w/ funny names ... Dr. Si Yoo.

    ReplyDelete