Saturday, December 24, 2011

Here's the deal....

    After several week's of procrastinating I've decided the smart thing is to start blogging as a means of communicating with my family and friends about my situation. I never gave much thought to having my own journal for anyone to read. (I am actually uncomfortable with the concept.)  However, I was so inspired by my brother Mark's interesting recording of his journey with pancreatic cancer with a blog called Consider This, that I have decided to follow his example. Herewith are some ramblings about my journey with pancreatic cancer. Yes, it is the real deal: CANCER!
    Here is a brief history to this point including good news, bad, news, waiting and terrible news:
    • September 2011 I started having issues with my digestive system.
    • October - problems persist and increase. I think about possibly having Crohn's, irritable bowel syndrome or diverticulitis. Have doctor's visit and blood tests. Liver numbers a little high.
    • November - second doctor's appointment, orders CT scan
    • November 21 - Bad News! CTscan results: 2" mass on the head of my pancreas. I decide to go to Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA, for diagnosis and treatment.
    • Dec. 5 - Endoscopy (through mouth, esophagus, stomach) done to get tissue and install a stent in the bile duct to help my digestion.
    • Dec. 6 - Bad News - go to ER at Hershey medical center with acute pancreatitis resulting from the endoscopies upsetting the fussy little pancreas.
    • Dec. 7 - A doctor informs me the eight brushes or swipes made on Monday came back negative. Good News.
    • Dec. 8 - A surgical oncologist comes into my room and says: "hold the horses on that. we need to have another biopsy because blood marker and visuals show classic pancreatic cancer. Results are inconclusive. Bad News. Go home feeling better than I had in a long time. Good News.
    • Dec. 16 - Have an ultrasound guided needle biopsy from outside the gut to the pancreas (I am still in awe of how they do this). Now we wait another week until a dual appointment with an oncologist and a surgical oncologist.
    • Dec. 23 - Meet with oncologist, Dr. Nelson Yee, who tells us that I have pancreatic cancer. Biopsies along with other diagnoses are conclusive and accurate. Of the various types it's the Patrick Swayze or Mark Schrag type and not the Steve Jobs type. It's called adenocarcinoma. It is Stage 3 Grade 1 which means it has grown into major blood vessels. Very bad news. But has not metastasized or possibly not invaded lymph nodes. Kinda good news, maybe?? Then we met with the surgeon who said this tumor can not be resected because it's embedding the blood vessels. "Not ever," he said. Surgery is far too risky. This was crushing news as I knew my best chance to beat this was whipple surgery, or some kind of REMOVAL OF THE OFFENDING TUMOR! Bottom line: There is no cure.
    A look into our future — I will be on a six week chemo and radiation treatment starting Jan. 6. Then a month off to recover. Then another CT scan to see if the bugger has shrunk. Then more chemo. More details later.
    Right now I am trying to process all this cheery news and it is not easy. I am scared, stressed and angry – all at the same time. (I am not angry at any person or group, you understand) So I ask for your continued prayers for peace, courage and strength as we go ahead into 2012. We are very grateful to be part of so many supporting families - home/biological, church, work, friends. And I have the utmost respect for and confidence in the medical team we've been seeing. Finally, I'm really lucky to have Barb, who has gone through three cancer diagnoses and all kinds of treatments, to help me. She has shown a great example of how to face this crap head on.
    Sorry for the cold, lengthy post. I may try to be more human in later posts.
    Best personal wishes at Christmas and throughout the New Year. 

9 comments:

  1. Rick,
    I'm shocked and kind of numb. It's so hard to know - really know that we are mortal, and subject to the whims of the flesh. Thanks for sharing this stuff, even if it's really hard. We are thinking about you and praying for you to go through this is a good way - if there is a good way to do it.

    Take care, Love,
    Milt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I say SHIT on your blog Ricky? I don't know what else to say right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, you are in our prayers every night in asking God's Powerful Blessing to arrest this carcerous demon. Much Love and Strength to you and your entire family. ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for you, Barb, and the boys. I agree with Eian, SHIT!!! We are praying for strength to get you and all of us through this. We love you and wish we knew how best to help everyone. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Seems incredibly sudden, almost like in the movies. I am praying for you and your family.
    Jack Derrico

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is hard, but the possibility of arresting this disease is hopeful. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We admire your courage and wish for you patience and some peace in 2012. We love you and pray for a timely recovery. Hope you are feeling o.k. and that the treatments will do their work. love and good wishes, Mary and Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, CRAP!!! (A polite(?) way of saying SHIT!!!)

    You, Barb and boys have been in constant thought & prayers since our first hearing you were seeing the doctor. Stay strong! I know you have God and each other, family and MANY friends!!!

    My New Year's prayer for you is that all of the good and thoughtful things you have done for countless others over the years (including saving the life of my oldest son Barb :) come back to you both in the form of richest blessings!!!

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE,
    Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since Nanc sent me news of your diagnosis. My prayer is for courage,strength, peace, & comfort as you go through treatment. I cannot imagine what you must be going through. I know you have Faith in our Lord and May he Bless you abundantly & may you trust in his Mercy during this difficult time.Theresa & Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snow is falling ever so gently - this should have been Christmas time. Everything is so clean and white - that will change once traffic begins tomorrow.

    It reminds me of the beautiful view in the Blacks Hills whenever I drove to your house - and those trips were many! I'm so glad both of you have such a huge home in my memories; wonderful, funny, teary, hysterical, loving, (cannibalistic thoughts when kids were young) memories and that you will be in so many in the future...can't wait to see you both.
    Nanc

    ReplyDelete